Thursday 24 September 2009

Cecil Beaton.

Marilyn Monroe.

"This major restrospective exhibition brings together captivating images from Cecil Beaton, one of the most celebrated photographers of the twentieth century.  Renowned for his images of elegance, glamour and style, Beaton's work has inspired many famous photographers including David Bailey and Mario Testino. The exhibition covers five decades of Beaton's career capturing 50 years of fashion, art and celebrity. Highlights include portraits of Marilyn Monroe, Jackie Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles.The exhibition reflects the astonishing talents of the photographer who was also a writer, artist, designer, actor, caricaturist, illustrator and diarist. There are four sections in the exhibition covering Beaton's career and capturing 50 years of fashion, art and celebrity."


I visited the Cecil Beaton exhibition at the Walker gallery, Liverpool. Being interested in fashion photography, when an opportunity to see the works of the famous fashion photographer, I jumped at the chance. The exhibition wasn't quite as good as I thought it may have been. The work shown was good but the majority was portraits. Before visiting the exhibition I didn't realise how many famous people Beaton had photographed and it was exciting to see all of the portraits and the relationship he had had with each person. I particuary liked the image of Marilyn Monroe and of course the most famous Audrey Hepburn. I would liked to have seen more images related to fashion although it was very interesting to see the work he had produced. Although  the exhibition was a little bit of a disappointment I am really glad I had the oppurtunity to see images that I hadnt previously been aware of. It was a real honour to see his work for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment