Thursday 24 September 2009

Initial visual merchandising research.

All saints window display.

I have decided to write my dissertation on how important visual merchandising is within the retail industry. It really interested my while I was in new york and I thought it could be a really interesting and fun subject to research. I would like to approach the subject with three aspects in mind, Art, Design and business. Whilst it is important to concentrate mainly on the design and art direction of the window and in-store displays, it also needs to be connected to the primary purpose which is selling the product. I have been taking photographs of interesting window displays that I see while walking down the high street and reading books and articles on the subject. Something that has got me quite interested is the sociology behind the relationship between the consumer, marketing and symbolic consumption which explains the window displays role to entice consumers in and buy into a lifestyle. It did remind me of the film 'confessions of a shopaholic'. Maybe I could touch on this subject of 'shopaholicism'. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I saw you did your dissertation on visual merchandising and I was wondering if you might help me with some articles or names of books on this subject. I am doing a project for university (I study Marketing) on this and it would be great if you could help me with this!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete