Tuesday 20 October 2009

The diving bell and the butterfly.

I have to admit that this is the first kino film I have been too see and I thought it was really good. A little daunted by subtitles, I found myself getting into the film. The film was a sort of 'memorial' to Jean-Dominique Bauby, editor in chief of fashion magazine french Elle who suffered a massive stroke. The stroke left him prisoner inside his own body, only able to cmmunicate with the blinking of his left eye. Inside the diving bell, as he reffered to his memory and imagination, the butterfly remained untouched by tragedy. Using a special alphabet, Bauby went on to defy the odds and fulfil his dream of writing a book. 
The film was so moving and a real tear jerker. The beginning part of the film was very abstract and the colours and light gave a feeling of how it might feel to be partially sighted. As the film went on I found myself becoming attached to jean-do as he was reffered to, even though he was abit of a casanova! The film cut in places to beautiful moving imagery and music. I particularly liked the 'scene' where there were butterflies flying through plants, the sun was shining so much that it blocked out areas, but then in other areas the detail was gorgeous. The film was beautifully filmed and the choice of music was clever. Sometimes it didnt necesarily fit which worked reall well. I was surprised to find that the film had a sense of hunour, not a regular 'art film' viewer I was a bit sceptical as to whether it would be to serious and dare I say it boring, but this film had a good mixture of humour and serious topics. It has restored my faith in arthouse film.
The film was a real success and I would recomend it to anyone. It shows that no matter how much we think our lives could be better, it could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment